Happy Friday! I always feel so productive on Friday and I figured out why. First, let’s cover my workout and breakfast (x2). Yeah, that’s right.
Today is leg day again! I feel like I just got over my extremely sore glutes and hammies.
- 20 minute ab workout
- 32 minutes on the treadmill: 3.5 miles
- 6 sets of 10-15 reps assisted squats: 50 lbs
- 6 sets of 12-18 reps deadlifts:
- seated (machine) calves raises: 5 sets of 20 reps at 20 lbs.
- hip adduction machine: 4 sets of 20 reps at 100 lbs.
- leg curls: 4 sets of 15 at 20 lbs.
Time to eat! I am starting to like my new habit of waiting until I leave for work to make my smoothie (in my new cup!). It makes my car ride more enjoyable.
This morning’s mixture was extra thick and took longer than usual to finish during my commute.
- 5 ice cubes
- 5 frozen strawberries
- a few peices of frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 heaping scoop of vanilla SunWarrior protein powder
- 1 tbsp. Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
- a handful of spinach
For some reason it was extremely thick, no qualms here! Maybe it was just the ice/milk to powder ratio.
My second breakfast that I usually eat about two hours after my smoothie when I get to work, and is usually a Vitatop, was extra special today too! Last night I decided to mix up some overnight oats in a jar in a recently devoured jar of PB.
In the mix went:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 scoop vanilla SunWarrior
- 1/2 fresh banana, mashed
- sprinkle cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch salt
- 1 cup of almond milk (or enough to mix it up)
This morning I added some more milk to soften it up and 1 tbsp. chia seeds because I totally forgot last night!
I finished it and practically licked the jar clean while I was having my productive morning at work. I think that I get a lot done on Fridays because I have less stress. Friday is just an overall carefree day and knowing that the weekend is only a few hours away gives me that extra push to complete all my work. I guess it is a good thing.
I feel like lately, between treats at work,
..and all of the fruit (strawberries, bananas), sweeteners (agave, honey, and stevia) that I use for my smoothies, I have been consuming so much sugar. I eat nanners like they are going out of style! Joe brought home 4 bunches that were extra from his restaurant, which are pictured in the background below. Bad news, but more to freeze for smoothies! Last night I was craving ice cream so I went and bought my favorite substitute, Arctic Zero.
Of course there is organic cane sugar in it, along with all other natural ingredients like xanath for thickening. But of course, I topped it with nanners, whip, and sprinks.
This clearly added to my sugar intake. I decided to do a little research on fruit sugars, specifically bananas.
- You don’t need to eat bananas for the potassium! (Although it is present in bananas, potassium is the predominant nutrient among most all fruits and vegetables.)
- Bananas are high in sugar, so they should not be eaten if you have blood sugar problems.
- Don’t eat bananas on an empty stomach; combining them with a bit of protein will help to normalize the insulin response caused by the sugar in the banana.
- Green-tipped bananas are better for your health than over-ripe bananas.
- On a side note: Because bananas are so popular, rainforests are often destroyed to make way for banana plantations.
Wel it’s a good thing I pretty much only eat them with protein (shakes, PB, etc) and that I contribute to rainforest distinction. Great.
I also found this to be interesting. Bananas can affect your mood. I mean, I know that bananas make me happy! But so does peanut butter, and cake, and chocolate. I think bananas get a bad rep because of the carb content, too, but at the end of the day it is a peice of fruit and it’s only 100 calories. It’s better than eating a bag of candy!
Anyway, obviously natural sugars are better for you than artificial sweeteners and your body processes them differently. Sugar is still sugar, though. In leui of my sugar concerns, I opted out of Dunkin Donuts free donut day offer and got my usual starbucks coffee instead.
It’s Friiiday Friday Friiiday! Does anyone else listen to Madison on Alt Nation? Cracks me up….